OnePlus 6T McLaren is one of the best phones released by OnePlus. It has a stunning design and is packed with awesome features.
It doesn’t matter how awesome the device is; you will get bored, or you will get the temptation to upgrade to the latest android.
You need an Unlocked Bootloader to root OnePlus 6T McLaren or install custom ROMs.
If you don’t unlock your phone’s bootloader, it will be impossible to root it and install custom ROMs or any other mods. So, you might be wondering, is there any easy way to do it? Well Yes.
In this article, we will show you how to unlock the bootloader of the OnePlus 6T McLaren.
With the help of this method, you can Root install custom ROMs, kernels, and other mods on your device.
This method is very easy to follow and does not require any technical knowledge.
Sounds good? Let’s dive in.
- 1 What is a bootloader?
- 2 Warnings
- 3 Prerequisites
- 4 How to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 6T McLaren?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Conclusion
What is a bootloader?
A bootloader is the first software loaded on your device. After that, the manufacturer usually locks it to ensure that no one else can modify the system without permission.
Bootloaders are responsible for loading the operating system kernel (OS) into memory. If there is an error or the OS is corrupt, a bootloader can help you restore the system to a known good state.
When we say "unlock the bootloader," we mean to unlock the security that prevents us from installing mods in it.
This is done by replacing the existing bootloader with a custom one. This means that your phone will boot any file we want it to, not just the files that are already on your device.
The disadvantage of Unlocking Bootloader
As mentioned earlier, the bootloader is not accessible by the user and thus cannot be tampered with. The bootloader prevents tampering and prevents users from installing third-party apps, such as rooted apps.
For example, if your phone’s bootloader is locked and you forcefully install a custom ROM, your phone will not startup. This will happen because the custom ROM has overridden the boot sequence of the phone.
Not to forget that an unlocked bootloader is a security issue.
Unlocking the bootloader is a good idea only if you want to install custom ROMs, kernels, or other mods on your device.
Unlocking the bootloader of OnePlus 6T McLaren is very easy as OnePlus itself has developed the method.
However, there are a few things you should be aware of before unlocking the bootloader of your OnePlus 6T McLaren.
- After the bootloader is unlocked, your phone will be wiped clean. You will lose all your phones data such as Contacts, Pictures, SMS, Call logs, and more. Make sure to backup everything before you proceed.
- If you unlock your device’s bootloader, you will lose your warranty, and you will be responsible if things go wrong. And you will also have to take care of the issues you might encounter after doing it.
In any case, you should take the necessary precautions to avoid any such issues.
First, make sure that you have a backup of all your important files.
If you follow this process, you will unlock your device properly.
- USB Cable – To connect your phone to the computer.
- Computer – To run Fastboot.
- Platform Tools – It contains adb drivers and fastboot.
Please download Platforms Tools from here.
How to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 6T McLaren?
Unlocking Bootloader is typically a long process, but don't worry; This step-by-step guide aims to make it quick and easy for you. By following the official, well-researched method outlined in this guide, you will be able to successfully unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 6T McLaren.
We will use fastboot to unlock your OnePlus 6T McLaren\’s bootloader. As I mentioned above in the prerequisites, you will need a computer. Let’s get started.
Step 1: Enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging
- Enable Developer Options – Head over to the Settings App of your phone, scroll down and Tap on “About phone,” and then Tap on “Build number” until you see the “You are now a Developer” popup.
- Now Open Settings > System and Tap on “Advanced,” and then Tap on Developer Options.
- In Developer Options, enable “OEM unlocking” and “USB debugging.”
Step 2:Boot into Fastboot mode and connect your phone Computer
- Turn your phone off.
- Long press “Volume down” + “Power button” of your OnePlus 6T McLaren simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to a PC with a USB Cable.
- Unzip Platform tools in a folder and then open the folder you unzipped.
- Type “CMD” in the address bar and then press enter, adb command window will now open.
Step 3: Unlocking OnePlus 6T McLaren’s bootloader
- Open Fastboot and typefastboot devicesand hit enter; if you don’t see your device, make sure your device is in the fastboot mode, and the USB cable is connected correctly.
- Once you see your device, typefastboot oem unlock
- Once the unlock command is processed, you will see a warning message on your OnePlus 6T McLaren; use the volume keys to navigate and then press the power key to confirm your selection.
Your OnePlus 6T McLaren will reboot in recovery mode and perform a factory reset.
After your device boots up, enable developer options and then open developer options if you will see “OEM unlocking” grayed out. This confirms a successful Bootloader Unlocking.
Now your device is unlocked, you can Root your OnePlus 6T McLaren and install any mods, ROMs, Kernels, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you unlock OnePlus 6T McLaren bootloader?
Yes, the OnePlus 6T McLaren bootloader can be unlocked; we have created a detailed guide that will help you unlock your OnePlus 6T McLaren bootloader.
Can I lock an unlocked OnePlus 6T McLaren bootloader?
Yes, you can lock the bootloader again. Locking the bootloader again also restores the warranty from OnePlus.
Can I unlock the OnePlus 6T McLaren bootloader without losing data?
Earlier it was possible to unlock a bootloader without losing data with a trick, but the trick has been patched and does not work anymore, so now there is no way to do so.
Can I unlock OnePlus 6T McLaren bootloader without PC?
No, the OnePlus 6T McLaren bootloader requires adb tools, which run on Windows and Mac; hence it is impossible to unlock the bootloader without a PC.
We have now come to the end of this article. I hope you liked this article and learned a few things.
If you have any questions or want to share any other information, you can comment below. You can also ask any questions that you want to know about the device in the comments section. We will be glad to answer your questions.
Do you know any other method to unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 6T McLaren? If so, share it with us in the comments section.